Thursday, October 19, 2006

étiquette....

Do you know what 'etiquette' means?

My James and I were comin' back from our honeymoon (yeah, that's me, Mrs. Bond :-)) and a gal in front of us had one of those head/neck pillows around her head, and the tag was sticking up. Since we were in Canada, the labels have to be in French and in English.

I never really thought about what that work, "etiquette," means. Well, I was bored (and she was right in front of me), and so I was reading the label, first the English, then the French.

WELL, you know that part that says "Don't Remove This Label?" In French, "label" is...."étiquette."

I think that is beyond perfect.

Your "etiquette" labels you to others. The French word is a derivative of the "estiquer," which means to attach, or "stick." Your "etiquette" -- your behaviors, proprieties of conduct, and how you deal with others, "sticks" to you....it "labels" you.

I remember one of my Bond Grrl students once asked me one of those "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound" questions. She talked about if no one is around that 'knows you' (or you are at home, etc.), does it "matter" if you put on a professional appearance, are courteous, are that Bond Grrl You.

Well, seeing that head pillow and where the word "etiquette" comes from made me smile -- because that is the answer to this question.

Are you "labeled" because of "etiquette"? Look -- I know, you didn't make the rules. Maybe it IS easier to push the peas on your fork with your finger -- or to wipe your hand on your pants. But your "etiquette" is labelling you -- not just to others, but also to yourself. Like that tag on that pillow, you can't just remove it when you want to -- you're going to slip.

So remember, though "etiquette" sounds like a pretty word and makes people roll their eyes and say they are "someone else's" rules, in reality, they are your Label. And you want to be wearing a Label that says Gucci, Manolo, Neiman's....not McDonald's, Ross, and Marshall's.

Right?

1 comment:

Mica said...

Yeah right!!! Hi.
I really do try to show proper "etiquette". Just like the post above said, you never know who you might come across again, and 1st impressions (sp) are lasting impressions.
Good point.
ps...My label is noo longer Mc.Don.alds. I haven't eaten there in about a month now. I must admit those fries were my "crack" but I'm taking it one-day-at-a-time;-)

pss...Are you still not smoking but SMOKIN'??
Have a great weekend!!!